Orel State University named after I.S. Turgenev is the first Key University in Russia; the only multidisciplinary center in the region that conducts continuous training of specialists of all levels in the field of pedagogical, engineering, medical, natural-science and humanities education.
To date, the structure of the University is represented by 3 branches (Karachev, Livny and Mtsensk), 12 institutes and 13 faculties. This is 297 educational programs and more than 940 doctors and candidates of science teaching. About 19,000 students from 55 countries study at our University; more than 4,000 students are graduated annually. Almost the third of the students graduate with an honors degree.
The University consists of:
- Center for Attracting Talented Youth;
- Center for Advanced Continuing Education;
- Center for Innovative Development of the Region.
- Key University is also the center of socio-cultural development of the region. For this purpose there were created the following:
The regional acceleration program for the development of voluntary initiatives – acceleration, consolidation, support and conversion of voluntary initiatives.
Center for literary heritage: “Turgenev’s language is the language of the world” for the promotion of the literary heritage of I.S. Turgenev.
Agropedinstitute – preparation of rural school teacher.
Association “A House of Gentlefolk” as the core of social initiatives – the creation of social, educational and cultural services.
The University’s ecosystem is innovative one and includes:
- University clinic;
- Center for Collective Use of Scientific Equipment;
- Center for Interdisciplinary Studies;
- Business incubator;
- Center for Technology Transfer and Commercialization;
- Technology and Innovation Support Center;
- Translation Bureau;
- Center for Publicity Activity;
- Project office.
Specialized research schools for youth are the project that is aimed at creating a new model of additional education for the younger generation, able to work in future in high technology and high-tech industries:
- School of Robotics;
- School of Nanotechnology and Nanochemistry;
- School of the Young Architect;
- School of Biotechnology;
- School of Electronics and Instrumentation;
- School of the Young Entrepreneur.
Membership of the University and individual scientists in specialized associations:
- The CDIO / CDIO Initiative
- International Association for Continuing Education;
- Network of language partners of the French Embassy;
- Association of Foreign Students of Russia;
- Association of Russian-Azerbaijani Universities.
- Academic Mobility Programs:
- Erasmus Mundus;
- Jean Monnet;
The OSU named after I.S. Turgenev is a comfortable environment for life, work and study:
- University campus (16 academic buildings and 9 student hostels);
- Student polyclinic;
- University clinic;
- Network of meal service objects;
- Fitness and sports complex;
- Swimming pool and indoor ice skating rink;
- Leisure center «Zelenyy Bereg»
The university also created all the conditions for developing the formative and creative potential of students:
- Regional Headquarters of Russian Students’ Teams;
- Center for Culture and Aesthetic Education;
- Center for History and Exposition Activities;
- The Joint Council of Students;
- Trade Union Organization of Students.
Students of the OSU named after I.S.Turgenev lead an active creative and sports life. At the University there are various theatrical, vocal and dance studios, as well as 20 sports sections.
Sport is an integral part of student life. It includes sports teams of the University on football, mini-football, basketball, volleyball, and work with individual athletes. Women’s mini-football team, men’s football team, women’s basketball team and men’s volleyball team achieved high results in sports.
Many significant events took place during the existence of Key University:
- The University crossed over to education with CDIO approach.
- OSU named after I.S. Turgenev became the base for the Regional Competition of the Working Professions “Young Professionals” (WorldSkills Russia) of the Orel Region.
- Our University became a platform for the basketball competition “Match of Stars ASB 2017” in Orel.
- OSU named after I.S. Turgenev became the organizer of the Workout Championship among universities.
- The University Clinic was opened. It is the structural subdivision of the OSU named after I.S. Turgenev.
- Our University is regularly visited by foreign teachers and scientists for lecturing.
Students of Key University become winners and prize-winners not only of regional and all-Russian Olympiads, but also international ones. They take part in various international conferences, such as:
- Participation in the International Conference on Photonics “European Conference on Biomedical Optics” (Munich, Germany);
- Participation in the II International Conference “Tourism Dynamics and Trends” (University of Seville, Spain).
- Participation in the Summer School on Photonics and Optics (Oulu, Finland)
In addition, Key higher educational institution itself becomes a venue for international conferences and seminars:
- Seminar on the international ERASMUS + program and academic mobility;
- International scientific and practical conference on the basis of the Institute of Economics and Management, etc.
The University is visited by foreign delegations from all over the world: France, America, Iran, Vietnam, Armenia and others.
Faculties of Orel (Oryol) State Technical University:
- Department of Civil Law
- Department of Civil Procedure
- Department of Constitutional, Administrative and Financial Law
- Department of Municipal and Environmental Law
- Department of National Security
- Department of Law Enforcement Activities
- Department of Theology, Religious Studies and Cultural Aspects of National Security
- Theory of State and Law Department
- Theory and History of State and Law Department
- Department of Labor Law
- Department of Criminal Law
- Department of Criminal Procedure and Public Prosecutor’s Supervision
Architectural and Construction Institute
- Department of Architecture
- Department of Urban Economy and Highways Construction
- Department of Building Constructions and Materials
- Department of Technosphere Safety
Institute of Instrument Engineering, Automation and Information Technologies
- Department of Automated Control Systems and Cybernetics
- Department of Information Security
- Department of Information Systems
- Department of Instrument Engineering, Metrology and Certification
- Department of Software Engineering
- Department of Technical Physics and Mathematics
- Department of Digital Technology
- Department of Electronics, Radio Engineering and Communication Systems
- Department of Electrical Equipment and Energy Conservation
- Center for Interdisciplinary Engineering
Institute of Natural Sciences and Biotechnology
- Department of Anatomy, Physiology, Hygiene and Human Ecology
- Department of life safety in the techno sphere and human protection in emergency situations
- Department of Botany, Physiology and Biochemistry of Plants
- Department of Geography, Ecology and General Biology
- Department of Zoology
- Department of Soil Science and Applied Biology
- Department of Industrial Chemistry and Biotechnology
- Department of Food Technology and Organization of Catering Industry
- Department of Commodity Science and Customs
- Department of Chemistry
Institute of correspondence and part-time education
- “Academy of Physical Culture and Sports” Faculty
- Department of Applied Physical Culture
- Department of Theory and Methods of Selected Sport
- Department of Theory and Methods of Physical Education and Sport
Polytechnic Institute named after N.N. Polikarpov
- Department of Fashion Industry
- Department of Mechanical Engineering Industry
- Department of Mechatronics, Mechanics and Robotics
- Department of Hoisting-and-transport, Building and Road Machinery
- Department of Machinery Maintenance and Repair
Faculty of secondary vocational education
Faculty of pre-university education and career guidance
Faculty for Foreign Students’ Training
- Department of Russian as a Foreign Language and Intercultural Communication
Faculty of Higher Qualification Expert Training
Faculty of Physics and Mathematics
- Department of Algebra and Mathematical Methods in Economics
- Department of Geometry and Mathematics Teaching Methodology
- Department of Informatics
- Department of Mathematics and Applied Information Technologies named after N.A.Ilyina
- Department of Mathematical Analysis and Differential Equations
- Department of Experimental and Theoretical Physics
Faculty of Philosophy
- Department of Logic, Philosophy and Methodology of Science
- Department of General and Applied Politology
- Department of Sociology and Juvenile Policy
- Department of Social Anthropology and Ethno-national Processes
- Department of Philosophy and Cultural Studies
- Institute of Philology
- Department of Journalism and Public Relations
- Department of History of Russian Literature of the 11th-19th centuries
- Department of Russian Language
- Department of Russian Literature of the XX-XXI centuries and the History of Foreign Literature
- Department of Theory and Methodology of Teaching Russian Language and Literature
- Department of Methodology and Technology of Social Pedagogy and Social Work
- Department of Social Management and Conflict Resolution Studies
- Department of Social and Pedagogical Education and Deontology
- Department of Theory and History of Social Pedagogy and Social Work
Institute of Pedagogy and Psychology
- Department of General and Developmental Psychology
- Department of Pedagogics and Vocational Education
- Department of Pedagogy and Psychology of Primary General and Secondary Education
- Department of Social Psychology and Acmeology
- Department of Theory and Methodology of Primary General education
- Department of Theory and Technologies of Preschool Education
- Department of Technologies of Psychological, Pedagogical and Special Education
- Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Department of Anatomy, Operative Surgery and Disaster Medicine
- Department of Internal Diseases
- Department of Histology, Cytology and Embryology
- Department of Immunology and Specialized Clinical Disciplines
- Department of General Pathology and Physiology
- Department of General Surgery and Anesthesiology
- Department of General, Biological, Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Pharmacognosy
- Department of Public Health, Health Protection and Hygiene
- Department of Pediatrics
- Department of Postgraduate Medical and Pharmaceutical Education
- Department of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Department of Specialized Surgical Disciplines
- Department of Dentistry
- Department of Pharmacology, Clinical Pharmacology and Pharmacy
- Department of Pediatric Surgery Disciplines and Innovative Technologies in Pediatrics
Art and Graphic Faculty
- Department of Design
- Drawing Department
- Department of Painting
Faculty of Technology, Entrepreneurship and Service
- Department of Professional Training and Business
- Department of Service
- Department of Technology and Entrepreneurship
- Department of Tourism and Hotel Management
Institute of Foreign Languages
- Department of English
- Department of English Philology
- Department of Foreign Languages
- Department of Foreign Languages in the Sphere of Professional Communication
- Department of German Language
- Department of Romance Philology
Faculty of History
- History of Russia Department
- Department of General History and Regional Studies
- Center for Continuing Professional Education and Upgrade Training
Institute of Economics and Management
- Department of Innovation Studies and Applied Economics
- Department of Marketing and Entrepreneurship
- Department of Management and Public Administration
- Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting
Heads of dormitories and the Student Board (student autonomous body) carry out character building in dormitories according to the complex plan, which includes the creation of necessary conditions for living, self-education, life and recreation, well-being, and allows to host mass cultural events and recreative sports, recreation evenings, literary soirees, dispute, mindset trainings, meetings with interesting people, etc.
Some of traditional events are: competition “The best room in the dormitory”, “Neighbors initiation ceremony”, different sports events. There is a psychologists office to help students and their families. There are annually conducted a course of lectures on such issues as tobacco smoking, drug addiction, AIDS preventive measures, youth sex education.
Oryol or Orel is a city located in the European part of Russia, on both sides of the Oka River and its tributary, the Orlik River, about 364 km south-west of Moscow. It is the capital of the Oryol region, an important transport, educational, cultural, and tourist center of Central Russia.
In Russian the name of this city means “eagle”. There is a legend about the origin of the name. According to it, it happened during the foundation of the fortress, in 1566. When builders began to chop down an oak standing on the river bank, at the confluence of the rivers Oka and Orlik, an eagle flew off from the top of the tree. “And here is the owner”, – said one of the men, and Ivan the Terrible ordered to name the town in honor this bird.
The climate in Oryol is of moderate continental type. Winters are usually moderate cold, with occasional thaws and frosts. Summers are not settled, with periods of extreme hot and cool weather. The average temperature in January is minus 6.7 degrees Celsius, in July – plus 20.5 degrees Celsius.
City Day in Oryol is celebrated on August 5. On this day in 1943, in Moscow, an artillery salute was given to honor the troops that liberated Orel and Belgorod. This was the first salute during the World War II in the USSR, that’s why both Orel and Belgorod received the nickname “the city of the first salute.”
The Oryol tram, opened in 1898, along with the Nizhny Novgorod and Kursk trams belongs to the oldest tram systems in Russia, one year older than the Moscow tram, and nine years older than the St. Petersburg tram.
“Oryol”, a nuclear submarine in the Northern Fleet of Russia, is named after the city of Oryol. On the conning tower of the submarine you can see the coat of arms of the city.
The main products manufactured in the city: food, machinery and electrical equipment, non-metallic mineral products, metallurgical production and production of finished metal products.